Thursday, August 23, 2007

Surprise!

August 23, 2007: Big news. Adam proposes. Valerie says yes. The Doog was present.

Valerie: After spending a couple of days at home, and before heading off to China, Adam came to Columbus. He arrived this afternoon.

Adam: I had been planning a big proposal for some time. I was originally going to propose to Valerie on a scenic overlook (or, as my mom put it, "a scenic overpass") on our drive down I-75 to Miami. However, I discovered that no such scenic overlook existed. So I instead told Valerie that when I arrived in Columbus, I wanted to take some pictures with the doog in the park.

Valerie: I must admit, I thought the picture idea was a bit odd, and it's been really hot here all day. But, because I love taking pictures, I didn't object. We picked up the doog and headed to Schiller Park in German Village.

Adam: I picked a nice spot in front of some purple flowers, and told Valerie that I would set up the camera. While I was setting up the camera, I grabbed the ring box out of my shorts pocket, where I had stored it for the flight over. I set up the camera to take a picture on timer, walked over, and got down on my knee. I took out the box, and promptly dropped it. Then I picked it up, and asked Valerie to marry me. She was, to say the least, surprised.

(The proposal caught on camera.)

Valerie: Shocked is more like it. I was definitely not expecting it. Adam did a great job with the ring (as you can tell from the pictures). It's exactly what I would have picked out. Afterwards, we took some pictures and headed to dinner at my favorite Columbus restaurant, The Northstar Cafe. After dinner we met up with some clerks at Novak's for happy hour and $1 beers.

Adam: I'm very excited to have Valerie as my fiancee. She's everything I always wanted, plus the doog gets thrown in for free. Two for one!

(The three of us after the proposal.)

(The ring -- oooh -- sparkly)

Next: The two lovebirds and the doog travel down I-75, eating some BBQ, and debating which "scenic overpass" Adam would have picked for the proposal.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Congratulations (Portugal style)! We're so happy for you both!

Anonymous said...

adorable pics! congrats again, guys! xo amy