Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Weekend in Columbus

June 30 - July 1; Columbus, Ohio

After several weekends spent out of town, this past weekend I reacquainted myself with Columbus by taking a long bike ride around town. I recently purchased a D40 Nikon SLR Digital camera and was dying to see what the camera could do. It didn't disappoint. The picture quality on the digital SLR is light years better than the quality on my Canon Powershot---which until recently I swore by. For those of you not familiar with Columbus, these are mostly pictures of the downtown area, the Short North, and German Village areas.

This orange-yellow building in the foreground is where I spend my days -- the Federal Courthouse on Marconi Boulevard:

This is a view of the Columbus skyline from a bike path that winds around the Scioto River -- the river behind the courthouse:
Trivia: Scioto is a Native-American word for "deer."

The North Market is a great farmer's market in the Short North area of Columbus. If you're in town, I recommend visiting Jeni's ice cream, located inside. It has the best ice cream in town.

In Victorian Village, just north of downtown Columbus, there's a great park called Goodale Park, which has a summer jazz concert series and poetry readings:

Lastly, my ride took me through German Village (not far from where I live) which is a historic area with brick roads and brick houses:
(A typical German-Village house.)

German village also has a very pretty garden (Frank Fetch Park), which Molly and I visited:

By this point, Molly was pretty tired (what can I say, we walked a lot and she's a couch potato with small legs), but luckily the garden had a water station for dogs:

And of course, I used my new camera to add to my already large picture collection of Molly, here's a sampling:
Molly looking very doog like.

I like the contrast between the bright orange hydrant and Molly's black fur.

No comments: